Saturday, April 14, 2012

Homemaking Isn't A Luxury!

There's a misconception that being a homemaker is a "luxury" as President Obama and others have said recently.  Those who say that, speak as if homemaking is a privilege that only a select few can afford. That is far from the truth! Being a homemaker is a sacrifice that many women willingly and joyfully make for the good of their families and prayerfully for the glory of God.  We sacrifice so that we can invest our time and  energy into our husbands and children. We desire to build a legacy of faithfulness to God. You could say we are willing to go to sacrifice whatever we have to in order to bring up our children in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.

For me as a Christian wife and mother, I'd rather invest my time, energy, and talents in my family rather than a career outside my home. I haven't always felt that way but by God's grace He has changed my heart, He's constantly molding my thoughts, and is giving me a biblical and eternal perspective on my life and on my calling as a wife and mother. When a person is old, on their death bed, or suffering the lost of a child or spouse they never say "I wish I'd spent more time on my job". No, they express " If only I'd spent more time with my husband or my wife and my children".  I don't want to live with any regrets.

 I want to have a marriage where we're not just existing together but where we are sacrificially loving and serving one another, and fleshing out the gospel before the world;that requires my time and energy. I want our home to be a place of joy and delight in the Lord not a pit-stop where we come to eat, shower, and change clothes; that means I need to be home to create that type of atmosphere.  I don't want to wake up and realize that my children's peers have more influence over them than I do; that requires me winning my children's hearts now while they are young. I don't want to miss out on the important milestones in my husband's and children's lives; that requires that I am available to them when they need me. 

I don't want to ever be too tired from a career to listen to the worries, joys, and sorrows of my husband and children; this requires that I not be involved in too many activities . I want to be available to rest daily at the Savior's feet through prayer and bible study; that requires me having flexibility and control over my schedule in order to make that a priority.  I want to be a suitable helper to my husband and teacher of God's truth to my children. All those things are worth the sacrifice of not buying a bigger house, luxury cars, having a successful career, and going on yearly vacations. I do what I do out of an agape love for my family.  This is a necessity not a luxury.

3 comments:

  1. I love this! Thanks and Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true. I know that devoting my time to my family is what God wants from me but it can feel very discouraging and lonely some days. Staying at home is not an easy task! It is made especially hard by worldly opinions that seem to attack from all sides. Thank you for being a source of encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad it encouraged you! Being a homemaker is a very challenging task; some days are easier than others. I'm so thankful that God gives us the grace to perservere even when it gets hard or we are being attacked verbally for what we do as homemakers. I will keep you lifted up in prayer; please pray for me as well:-)

    ReplyDelete